Kinki-NetKinki-Net

Low-flying J wants to study abraod: Any ideas

Discussion started on English Language Teaching

The USA makes you jump through hoops since 911, but work and study opportunities are also there, but the working holiday option in Australia and New Zealand seems the least hassle.

OK, Bobby,

Thanx for chiming in. Good one. Anyone else?
#4 - April 06, 2010, 07:32:03 PM
- david s

"Now half of my life is already passed, I think I've come to know myself at last" - Van Morrison

As a Japanese citizen he can have a working holiday in NZ, Aust., Ireland, UK as well as other countries (open to change but I believe this is presently correct). There are many language schools too which may permit some working plus study. Just today I was at BIC camera near Kyoto Station and the only English speaking salesman was a very helpful young man who mastered English from his work study gap year in Australia and New Zealand.

I know of several friends who left Japan with barely any English and used a working holiday down-under to become very strong English speakers. The USA makes you jump through hoops since 911, but work and study opportunities are also there, but the working holiday option in Australia and New Zealand seems the least hassle.
#3 - April 06, 2010, 09:56:48 AM
Robert L. Seltman

Hi,

One of my J friends' son, who is in university, want sot study E abroad; however, his E level is not so good, so he apparently doesn't qualify for any overseas programs the school might have for this purpose. Here' the blow-by-blow exchange:

Norihiko wrote: I NEED YOUR ADVICE ABOUT MY SON..HE WANT TO GO ABROAD TO STUDY ENGLISH..

@@@ Does his university have a sister school relationship with a school in the US? Australia? Go for that.

Norihiko wrote: I DON,T KNOW DETAIL..BUT PROBABLY HECANT USE THE SYSTEM OF SCHOOL BECAUSE OF HIS LOW TEST RESULT.

Question: Any ideas what I can tell my friends about possibilities for his son?
#2 - April 06, 2010, 05:05:45 AM
- david s

"Now half of my life is already passed, I think I've come to know myself at last" - Van Morrison

Members: