Kinki-NetKinki-Net

Obsolete goodies

Discussion started on Classifieds & Job Market

Hi Hendrick,

It's good to hear from you again, although it's a shame that there's no longer any Mac in your life - dreadful!

Thanks for the tip about whom we can contact to send old Mac stuff.  I need to do a big clean-out too.

It's occurs to me that you are the ideal person to know something about the question I just posted in the Wizard's conference about accessing a G3 - I'd be grateful for your input.

Hope you, and everyone, is having a golden Golden Week,

louise
#5 - May 02, 2012, 02:10:15 AM

Start with 'Low End Vintage Macs' (http://lowendmac.com/lists/vintagemacs.shtml) and check their related sites...

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill!
(Somehow a "quote" thingy seems to have gone missing in your post, btw...)
I realize that my request did not include the vital point that the special someone who would take my treasures would most prefereably be in Japan - in any case... success... Simon @ the other big MUG had a lead to someone in Anjou (Aichi-ken) who turned out to be just the right man for the job: Sandor Benko (as he writes his name, perhaps not to be confused with the flute player of the same name who uses the original spelling).

I sent Sandor about 20kg (estimated) worth of old powerbooks, part, and accessories, and he will likely be able to get at least one of the machines going again. I also think someone should invite him to join this MUG (same as suggested to the other MUG), because he is truly one of the chosen people of the Mac creed. ;) :D Anyway, here is the necessary info to contact him (slightly obscured to keep spambots in the dark): benyusz at that famous mail service provided by that famous search engine outfit that allegedly does no evil.

Free of old treasures that had become a burden and free of guilt (throwing perfectly good things into the garbage goes againt too many aspects of my inner self)... 8)

My best regards all around - and if you don't hear much from me it is certainly nothing personal, just a consequence of the fact that my work and other life take up all my time and that there is also no Mac in my life these days...

:-* ~H~
#4 - April 18, 2012, 11:44:04 AM

Start with 'Low End Vintage Macs' (http://lowendmac.com/lists/vintagemacs.shtml) and check their related sites...

Mission impossible! There is nobody here on my little island who, in this age of iPåds and nètbooks, would be able to make any use whatsoever of "old" Mac-related stuff - such things like SCSI cables, printer cables, ADB-cables, monitor adapters, serial and parallel port adapters, video port adapters, a spare ADB keyboard (some items even still in their original package)... and, there are even a few USB-connectable items in the box: a few cables and a keyboard, a mouse and an external floppy drive left behind by an iMac that gave up its life years ago - but that, too, is "old" stuff, is it not?).

My clawing for straws question: does anybody know a way to keep this stuff out of the dump?
(Like, are there still people who fix pre-PPC Macs... or Mac hobbyists who dwell in pre-iEra space... or "junk" shops that peddle things of that sort and could therefore accept a shipment?)

Many thanks in advance for any advice that you may have for me!
(日本語でもOK!)
よろしくお願いします
[/quote]
#3 - April 06, 2012, 09:06:15 PM

はいさい!(as we say in Okinawa), otherwise, Hi!

Mission impossible! There is nobody here on my little island who, in this age of iPåds and nètbooks, would be able to make any use whatsoever of "old" Mac-related stuff - such things like SCSI cables, printer cables, ADB-cables, monitor adapters, serial and parallel port adapters, video port adapters, a spare ADB keyboard (some items even still in their original package)... and, there are even a few USB-connectable items in the box: a few cables and a keyboard, a mouse and an external floppy drive left behind by an iMac that gave up its life years ago - but that, too, is "old" stuff, is it not?).

My clawing for straws question: does anybody know a way to keep this stuff out of the dump?
(Like, are there still people who fix pre-PPC Macs... or Mac hobbyists who dwell in pre-iEra space... or "junk" shops that peddle things of that sort and could therefore accept a shipment?)

Many thanks in advance for any advice that you may have for me!
(日本語でもOK!)
よろしくお願いします
#2 - April 06, 2012, 05:57:41 AM

Members: