Kinki-NetKinki-Net

Is it a big mistake or... else?

Discussion started on English Language Teaching

Ship by itself usually only means a large boat. As a verb it means to move packages (Amazon ships purchases quickly). Some slang dictionaries say it can be an abbreviation for friendship but I have never heard this usage. Sometimes in advertising people make 'mistakes' as a pun to attract attention. In Japan my experience is mistakes are because English meaning is less important, than the modernistic style of Roman-ji, suggesting a kind of international sophistication.

My students are always surprised that I read the 'English' on their T-shirts. Most Japanese people see Roman-ji in the same way Europeans see kanji, as a decorative jumble of shapes suggesting the Orient. Many Asian food shops in the USA have strange or incorrect Chinese-like characters.

Japanese restaurants in the US are often owned by non-Japanese Asians. Japanese food is more profitable than Chinese cuisine and more stylish. Bad Japanese kanji is a good clue the food will not resemble traditional Japanese cuisine. Perhaps there should be an official classification for Western-imitation Japanese food like American Chinese 'Chop-suey' (simplified Chinese: 杂碎; traditional Chinese: 雜碎; pinyin: zá suì; literally "assorted pieces").

Work Whore (someone over-dedicated to their job)
#5 - June 17, 2012, 06:51:13 PM
Robert L. Seltman

Ownership, Friendship, Township, Worship, Relationship... all vessels in the navy of English language confusion. Fortunately Ship has generally a positive connotation so the mistake is not offensive in English, as apposed to the name Wakhore, which can sound like all kinds of dirty associations.
Thank you for your reply Robert, can you confirm that this is a spelling mistake even if it is not offensive? Anyway, Wakhore sounds like.... whore? ;)))
#4 - June 17, 2012, 12:35:36 AM

Ownership, Friendship, Township, Worship, Relationship... all vessels in the navy of English language confusion. Fortunately Ship has generally a positive connotation so the mistake is not offensive in English, as apposed to the name Wakhore, which can sound like all kinds of dirty associations.
#3 - June 16, 2012, 10:58:46 PM
Robert L. Seltman

I saw this big Ad in Kobe by a big real estate company (Wakhore). I think they wanted to write ownership , but this is "just" a big misspelling or... Please explain!
#2 - June 13, 2012, 12:27:53 AM

Members: