Kinki-NetKinki-Net

How to describe this era 2ooo-2o1o

Discussion started on English Language Teaching

It will no doubt be referred to as The Bad Old Days by later generations.

Hope so--I'd hate to imagine a situation where people refer to the "two aughts" as the "Good Old Days"!
#10 - April 10, 2009, 12:18:34 AM
"Talk to your neighbors" — Albert Camus

As in Elton John, who always wears big glasses 00
                                                                              ︶
If this weren't a family forum, I might have gone for something from Monty Python, like "The Decade With The Biggest T__s In THe World!" but then again maybe not......

Call it the Double O's, too bad we didn't have this conversation in 007....

Or, call it the Ooies, or the binocular years, or even the  Eltons. It will no doubt be referred to as The Bad Old Days by later generations.

-Paul

JD queries >> 'the  Eltons.' >> don't get it. Am I missing something obvious?
#9 - April 09, 2009, 11:24:32 PM

Or, call it the Ooies, or the binocular years, or even the  Eltons. It will no doubt be referred to as The Bad Old Days by later generations.

-Paul

JD queries >> 'the  Eltons.' >> don't get it. Am I missing something obvious?
#8 - April 09, 2009, 01:14:54 PM
BrainDeath, Captain, The...

-Paul
#7 - April 07, 2009, 11:00:41 AM

Some people in Britain call this decade 'the noughties'.
#6 - April 07, 2009, 10:10:36 AM
BrainDeath, Captain, The...

I think the general useage is 'the aughts', although I haven't had occasion to use the phrase yet, although perhaps some people might prefer 'the end times'.

I believe I've heard the "naughts," which has an attractive "wasteland" connotation.
#5 - April 07, 2009, 05:55:12 AM
Who's Denny Crane? The greatest trial lawyer in history. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Crane.

'the aughts', 'the end times'.

I thought of the Zero's (oo's) Generation, all feel so loaded with negativism and critique. I wonder if there is a more neutral or optimistic term. Something that rolls off the tongue a bit better.
#4 - August 26, 2008, 03:19:03 AM
Robert L. Seltman

I think the general useage is 'the aughts', although I haven't had occasion to use the phrase yet, although perhaps some people might prefer 'the end times'.
#3 - August 25, 2008, 09:56:11 PM

In English we refer to the 8o's, or 9o's to describe 198o-89, or 199o-99. I am for example part of the 6o's generation.
How have people begun to refer to this time, post 2ooo, first era 2ooo...?

What do you prefer to use...?
#2 - August 25, 2008, 07:39:13 PM
Robert L. Seltman

Members: